Monday 26 May 2014

Flypast

When I was a young boy I loved planes, I remember visiting an air show at the age of 9 or 10, I think at RAF Mildenhall (at least I think it was there). I wish I could remember more about the day, I do remember sitting in various cockpits and vehicles and I remember how loud a Harrier jet it when its hovering above the ground.

On to the subject of this post, I heard a BBMF (Battle of Britain Memorial Flight) plane was to fly over Sutton Bridge on May 25th. The place I gained this information........facebook! I had to work Sunday, in the back of my mind all day I wondered if I had missed the event.

When I got home I got my camera out and put it on the side in the kitchen in case I hadn't missed it. Laura and I went out on our bikes about 3pm, id only been on my bike 30 seconds before I heard the plane coming and so I missed shooting the first flypast but instead at least I enjoyed seeing it with my own eyes instead of through a viewfinder.

By the 2nd flypast I had managed to get my camera out of the bag, I quickly dialled some settings in and shot away. It flew over and then came back again, I only had time to alter the shutter speed before it was back over head, click click.

I wish it had gone over again as I would of slowed the shutter speed again enough to of captured some movement in the propellers. I should of been better prepared, damn.

I had a basic idea of what I wanted shots to look like though; I wanted to include ground objects in each shot so that a viewer can appreciate how low the plane was as it flew overhead.

The plane itself after looking on the net is a Douglas C-47 Dakota, a transport plane used during WWII, which was built in 1942.



Dogfighting with a bird

My favourite shot

Flypast done

All shots taken at f8, ISO 200, shutter speed's; way too fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment